Colony Drop's Second Fanzine Released
by Colony Drop Staff - June 24 2013

Bigger and badder than our first effort, The Last American Fanzine 2: The Quickening features over 70 perfect-bound pages of full-color anime content. Contributing writers to this issue include notable Internet anime fans like Benjamin Ettinger (Anipages), Patrick Macias (Otaku USA, Crunchyroll News), David Merrill (Let’s Anime and the first Colony Drop fanzine), Mike Toole (Anime News Network), and Daryl Surat (Anime World Order and Otaku USA).

Articles cover a variety of anime-related topics. Here’s a rough rundown:

• The seminal Cream Lemon episode Pop Chaser.
Patlabor’s real-life influences.
• A discussion with two Japanese journalists about anime publishing.
• The VHS-based lifestyle of fans during the Reagan administration.
• The underbelly of the U.S. anime convention scene.
• Fandom during the dial-up era.
• 1980s basic cable programming and To-Y.

There’s also a heap of original fanart and photography, a couple comics and the subtle reminder that anime fans can, on occasion, be productive individuals.

As with the first issue, we’re releasing it via the print-on-demand website MagCloud. It’s also more expensive than the first issue, due to the larger size, rising costs and binding. Currently there are no plans to release it via PDF.

Colony Drop Presents: THE LAST AMERICAN FANZINE #2

Colony Drop: Colony Drop Presents: THE LAST AMERICAN FANZINE #2

Find out more on MagCloud

Comment from: Carl [Visitor]

Congratulations on the new issue–I’m really looking forward to reading it! I guess in a practical sense, all the Cream Lemon episodes were seminal.

06/24/13 @ 17:45

Comment from: Cid [Visitor]

For the love of sanity. POST MORE! Save us from the state of the current industry! And thank you for all you do!

06/24/13 @ 20:08

Nice! Congrats–and I can’t wait to read this….

06/24/13 @ 22:26

Comment from: Superdeformed [Visitor] · http://www.deephurting.com

If only you had time to add 10 columns about the Valvrave rape debate and how awesome the Pizza Hut/Attack on Titan promotion in Japan is.

06/25/13 @ 09:34

Comment from: Darius Washington [Visitor]

Very cool. It’s like Animag coming back to life.

06/25/13 @ 09:40

Comment from: Anonymous [Visitor]

> Currently there are no plans to release it via PDF.

Sad times.

06/25/13 @ 18:22

Comment from: Cid [Visitor]

@Superdeformed

Naw…they focus on quality here. They remember the good days when the studio was not enforced to pander.

06/25/13 @ 18:29

Comment from: Zeonicfreak [Visitor] · http://aoypodcast.wordpress.com

Good thing I was on twitter to see you guys post on this, or I would have never found out.

I remember I wrote something for the second issue like almost 2 years ago… and never got a reply (till much much later when I begged on IRC what happened to my email). I guess I can try again next time, in 2 more years.

06/26/13 @ 22:51

Comment from: Cory Shwadlenak [Visitor] · http://www.otakumachinegun.blogspot.com

Congrats on the new issue! Been looking forward to it getting published for awhile now. Have to say that fanzines should, well..remain in the printed form instead of PDF anyway. Blame my opinion on having been exposed to MRR way too much.

06/30/13 @ 17:03

Comment from: Gilles Poitras [Visitor] · http://www.koyagi.com

Looks like an excellent read.

07/05/13 @ 10:02

Comment from: Georgio [Visitor]

Is there anyway I can buy a digital copy for my tablet for like $5 or something?

07/13/13 @ 08:34

Comment from: CMR [Visitor]

I’ve got my copy in. Good job guys. The magazine is really well done. I had a good laugh when I read “Anime con confidential". I’m becoming convinced the fans are what’s wrong with modern anime more than anything.

No wonder comic cons like NYCC are regulating anime to the proverbial basement.

07/15/13 @ 22:00

Comment from: neshru [Visitor]

Any reason why you guys are not releasing a digital version of this? I really can’t see the upside of sticking with paper only.

This looks like it could have made for an interesting read, but if I can’t buy it digitally I will have to pass.

09/27/13 @ 16:30